New River United Tryout Dates Announced! Register by May 1!
There is an online registration form to be completed by all prospective players prior to the start of tryouts. Through this online registration process, the Club will be better prepared to setup tryout sessions to accommodate all players that are interested in trying out at each age group. This process will also help us to clarify any confusion around which age group players will be assigned. There will be no cost to participate in the online registration or the tryout process.
All teams 2009 (u11) – 2005 (u15) will be organized by birth year, while teams 2004 (u16) – 2001 (u19) may be mixed due to player numbers. If a player chooses to tryout for a team older than their birth year, that player is allowed to attend the tryout, however they must attend the tryout of their actual birth year as well in order to be considered for that team. In order to make a team within the older age group the player will need to be determined by the coaching staff to be within the top 3 of all players within the older age group’s team, otherwise they will be placed on a team within their proper birth year. The NRU Staff may make adjustments to BRSL teams if it benefits both the team and the player and teams of the proper age group have full rosters.
To register for the 2019 Fall Travel Team Tryouts, please complete the steps below.
1. Go to www.newriverunited.com
2. Click on register on the top right hand side if you are a new customer. If you are a returning customer, click on log in and sign in with your id and password and skip to step 5.
3. If you are a new customer (which means you did not have a child playing in the fall, or have one attend our camp this summer), fill in all parent information and click on “create new account”. Remember, the parent is the customer. Proceed on to entering primary contact information and hit “next”.
4. Once you get to “Add new participant” this is the player’s information, fill in all of the proper information and proceed by hitting “next”.
5. At the “My Account” screen, click the check box next to your player (should be green with Available Programs). 2019-20 Travel Soccer should appear as an available program for your player. Click on the “Register” next to the player’s proper birth year team (ie if a player is born in 2002, he should register for 2002 Boys). If your player would like to tryout for a team one year older, you would click on that available “Register” button. Finally, hit “Continue”.
6. Click on next and continue to fill in the proper waiver forms and contact information. You should see a “$0.00” next to pay in full. Click on “Continue”.
7. Continue to click on “Continue” until reaching the “Registration Order Summary” page. You will also receive a confirmation email once registration is completed.
If you have any questions, please contact the club office at [email protected]
Please see the NRU's current tryout policy attached here
The tryout dates will be: (Players are encouraged to attend all tryout dates for their age group.)
09/07 Boys and Girls – May 6, May 8, May 13 *(All sessions 5:30-7pm @ Virginia Tech Rec Sports Turf)
08/06 Boys and Girls – May 7, May 9, May 14, *(All sessions 5:30-7pm @ VTRST)
05 Boys and Girls – May 13, May 14, May 15 *(All sessions 5:30-7pm @ VTRST)
*Please note that due to weather or number of players, one additional tryout day maybe added.
High School Tryouts
01/02, 03, 04 Girls - April 13, April 14 4 - 5:30pm at CRC
01/02, 03, 04 Boys - April 28, May 5 1:00-2:30pm at VTRST
For each age group and gender, there will be a committee comprised of 2-4 coaches depending on number of registered players for the tryout. The coaches will consist of either Matt Gwilliam (Director of Coaching) or TBA (Executive Director), the coach of the team (if determined by then), and at least one other coach from the NRU staff or local collegiate programs (VT assistants, Radford assistants). Tryouts will consist of a technical aspect of the game, followed by a lot of small-sided games, and finished with a larger match like setting (as close to the proper full-sided match for that age group). Coaches will be using an evaluation sheet which will be consolidated for a total evaluation score by the Director of Coaching. After each session, the committee will meet to rank players as they saw it based on that day and to prepare for the following tryout.
At the end of the tryout process, the committee will meet one final time to discuss player placement to teams. All players trying out will be notified of their team placement via email on Monday, May 20. Players will then have until Monday, May 27th to make a decision and submit a down payment for registration.
If you have any questions with regards to the tryouts, please contact Matt Gwilliam ([email protected])